May 10, 2014

American Heroes, Quilts of Valor, Family Quilts

At my last local quilt guild meeting, we had a speaker come give us a challenge.
The town we meet in has an annual outdoor quilt show in the month of September. Sheila told us of a challenge to every quilter in the area to make 50 red white and blue quilts to donate to Quilts of Valor, American Heroes, or any service member we personally know to show in the quilt show. So I got to thinking and signed up to be part of that challenge. The block on the right is the first block of a modern red white and blue quilt for my sister. The block on the left is for one of our guild member's daughter. She is leaving for 6 months to watch her daughter's kids while her daughter is deployed. After it is displayed in the quilt show, I will send the quilt as a surprise to our guild member and her daughter. The one for my sister I will send to her when she returns to the states in November. At our next guild meeting, we will be slyly asking members to make their own scrappy star blocks to add to the quilt-while still trying to keep it a secret! I will also ask for the modern blocks, but that doesn't have to be a secret!
Both quilts are to be sewn together block to block without any sashing. I hope to update progress soon!

No comments: